Skip to main content

To Be or not to Be..the Big Dog that weighed a ton?


To be or not to be?
To be or not to be? Is that the question? Many people ask "who am I"? As a grown man I ask "what will I be when I grow up? If you are like me you like to have something to look forward to! We are human beings but we often identify ourselves as "human doings"! We are always doing something so we can be "something else."
I have a friend who loves to remind me that "it takes a big dog to weigh a ton"! Being the analytical person that I am I have to look for the deeper meaning! Why did the dog have a need to weigh a ton? Why couldn't he be satisfied to be a little dog that weighed whatever he was created to weigh? What is that dog going to do with himself after he gets that big?

To be a ton or not to be a ton? Why does it matter? When I grow up am I going to be the big dog doing the big dog stuff or am I going to be the contented dog; doing what I enjoy because I enjoy being who I am!

To enjoy is to "joy in"! If you are looking for "out-joy" you will "joy out"! Joy is a result of true contentment. Contentment is a by-product of security. Security is the lifestyle of those who have inner peace. Inner peace is available to those who accept themselves as they are and only work to accentuate and not to fluctuate in their identity.

I'm not the big dog and I'm glad I don't weigh a ton! I don't need to be the biggest or the greatest in comparison to you! I just need to be the best me that is possible!

That me was designed by God! He created me and said I was very good! When I found out that "that goodness had been marred by my sin" I was devastated! How could I be content with the ruin? God came to my rescue and loved me while I was a sinner! (Romans 5:8) Then he sent his son to restore the identity that had been ruined by sin. ( John1:12) He gave me a new identity and a new name!  (2 Corinthians 5:17 ) So I don't have to be the big dog, I just get to be His Human Being made right by God's divine doing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Bridge of Love

A Bridge of Love Mark chapter 12 describes a confrontation between Jesus the Pharisee’s and Sadducees. The encounter begins as Jesus tells a story of a King some farmers and the Kings Son who is killed by the farmers.   The King is enraged by the farmer’s attitudes and actions towards his son and brings harsh retribution upon them.   He then replaces these tenant farmers with tenants who would respect their King.   Jesus is describing himself as the son, his father as the King and the Pharisees as the farmers.   Needless to say this story made the Pharisee’s furious because they didn’t believe that Jesus was God’s son and they denied, ridiculed, and undermined him at every turn.   There were two parties that belonged to the ruling religious counsel.   One party was known as the Pharisees and the other were known as the Sadducees.   These parties were at odds with each other over the teaching about the existence of angels and unseen spi...

What is a Pentecostal Christian?

What is a Pentecostal Christian? Have you ever heard of a “Holy Roller”?   You know one of those people who go to a church where they swing from chandlers, jump pews, and shout in church.   Oh and they “speak in tongues”.   Well, indeed I have!   I am one of those “Pentecostal Christians”. I want to give you an opportunity to know about Pentecostals from a Pentecostal perspective.   My purpose is not to be defensive about my beliefs or offensive towards anyone with opposing beliefs.   So here goes! The word “Pentecost” was associated with a feast that was associated with the harvest time in ancient Israel.   The word actually means ‘fifty” and it was a feast that happened fifty days after the Passover.   The Priests would wave the first sheaves of wheat in celebration of the anticipated harvest. The observance of this feast gave the Jews an opportunity to declare their faith and trust in God to give them the strength to bring the ...
Why? The city is in flames!   Our wives and kids are hostages. We are a laughingstock to our enemies!   We followed this David and this is what we get!   (1 Samuel 30) Why?             My wives and children are either dead or they are slaves!   My men are talking about stoning me and my own king wants to separate my head from my shoulders!   Why?             These were the “somebody has done me wrong” songs sang by David and his “about to break up” band! It is a common song that most of us can relate to.   Most of us have taken a turn at writing our own verses to the dirge!             Why didn’t you bring my sister home?   My three year old asked me that in December of 1988 when my wife and I came home with empty arms after the stillbirth of our daughter Rachael.   It was eas...